Introduction

After several years of struggling to squeeze in more than a couple of runs each week, and aware that the final years of my athletic prime were passing at a clip, I resolved to run every day for a year. Didn't manage it in 2006 (made it to then end of june), so hopefully the discipline of this blog and the £1 challenge will see me right in 2007.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

January 27th - Devil's Burdens Relay

Race-day. Nige, my intended running partner pulled out, and after the team reshuffling I was paired with Dave Riach. Watched the start in Falkland then after wasting far too much time, finally set off to the Leg 1/2 changeover, where Chris and Manny handed over to Scott McKendrick in about 5th place. Scott dropped a couple on the way to Scotlandwell, where Dave and I were waiting at the start of the navigational leg. Starts with a nasty wee steep climb, on which I felt I was labouring a bit, with Dave trottng along chatting at my heels. Got into my stride much more when we reached the moorland plateau. Running on a good track over Bishop Hill, across the rough stuff (the "Devil's Burdens") and up the steep and heathery West Lomond. Glorious clear sunny day with just a slight breeze to keep us cool. Delighted and amazed to discover that Dave descends even slower than I do, which I wouldn't have thought possible. Picked up a checkpoint in the gully, then legged it across a traverse to the edge of the woods and down the forest tracks at full tilt, hot on the heels of a pair of very sprightly Fife Vets road-runners. Just pipped them by a few metres at the finish in Strathmiglo, for a running time of 1:03, with the team now in 4th place, a long way behind 3rd but neck and neck with Fife Vets.
After a few minutes rest, jogged the last leg through the woods to Falkland in about 38 minutes.
Nice to get a race under my belt, and encouraged that there seemed to be a little bit of oomph in the old legs.
Team finished 4th out of 97, with Brian Bonnyman holding off a strong challenge from the Fifers on the final leg.
Results here and pictues below:

No comments: