Introduction

After several years of struggling to squeeze in more than a couple of runs each week, and aware that the final years of my athletic prime were passing at a clip, I resolved to run every day for a year. Didn't manage it in 2006 (made it to then end of june), so hopefully the discipline of this blog and the £1 challenge will see me right in 2007.

Monday, January 01, 2007

The £1-a-day Running Challenge

Last year, after several years ticking over on a measly 2 or 3 runs a week, I resolved to run every day of 2006. I managed until the end of June (exactly 6 months) before being struck down by a very nasty lurgy carried in our private water supply, and missed a week. With the sequence broken, the impetus had gone, and I probably averaged about 6 runs a week for the second half of the year. I have renewed the resolution for 2007, but with some added spice. I have recruited four pals for company; Charlie and Chris in Glasgow, Crispin in Wales and Dave in Cheltenham. Our progress can be followed at http://onepoundchallenge.blogspot.com

The title stems from the commitment that each of us will donate £1 for each day missed to a charity of our choosing at the end of the year. The only rule a run needs to last at least 20 minutes to qualify. Equivilent exercise will be accepted if running is impossible due to injury.

Kicked off today with a pleasant 40-minute jaunt around the local hills, up to Whitton Edge and along the ridge to Gateshaw Hill, and from there back to the farm.



No comments: